$50,000 available to celebrate Fredericton’s rich history and culture.
Fredericton, NB (January 12, 2023) – Fredericton’s history goes back thousands of years. Originally home to the Wolastogiyik People, the French and British followed. Today, this scenic bend on the river is home to people from around the world.
Fredericton was incorporated as a city on March 30, 1848, by an Act of the Provincial Legislature. 175 years later, we pause to celebrate that milestone, along with all the history that went before. As part of those observations, the City of Fredericton is pleased to provide $50,000 in Fredericton 175 & more (or Fredericton 175+) Community Celebration Grants.
The grants are intended to support projects and activities organized by community organizations interested in celebrating Fredericton’s rich history and culture. Eligible activities must take place in the City of Fredericton and be accessible to the public. They must also be inclusive and demonstrate engagement of community members from diverse backgrounds.
Fredericton 175+ will be formally celebrated in the city from August 11 - 20, 2023. Preference will be given to applications proposed for this time, however, this is not a requirement, and the grant selection jury will evaluate all applications, regardless of timeframe. All activities must occur before December 31, 2023.
Examples of projects or activities considered eligible:
- Events or series pertaining to Fredericton 175 & more that are open to the community.
- Performances (theatre, music, dance, poetry/literature) that celebrate Fredericton 175 & more.
- Exhibitions whose theme encapsulates Fredericton 175 & more.
- Workshops or seminars focused on Fredericton’s history.
- Educational programs or activities for youth with respect to Fredericton 175 & more.
- Commemorative installation that celebrates Fredericton 175 & more.
Examples of projects or activities considered ineligible:
- Sales, exhibitions, or events held in commercial premises
- Sustaining, operating or administrative expenses not associated with the project or activity
- Studies, plans, or strategies
- Conferences or professional development
- Building renovation or repair
Seven community grants will be available through this program in the following amounts: three (3) $10,000 grants and four (4) $5,000 grants, for a total of $50,000. The deadline for applications is 4:30 pm, Friday, February 10, 2023. Find out more by visiting www.fredericton.ca/grants or contacting Fredericton Tourism at email@example.com.
Wayne Knorr, APR
Communications Manager, City of Fredericton